Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A great Rich Mullins quote

I'm reading a fantastic book right now by Shane Claiborne called Irresistible Revolution. He recalls a time when Rich Mullins led a chapel service at Wheaton College. Here's what Rich said. (Classic Rich):

"You guys are all into that born again thing, which is great. We do need to be born again, since Jesus said that to a guy named Nicodemus. But if you tell me I have to be born again to enter the kingdom of God, I can tell you that you just have to sell everything you have and give it to the poor, because Jesus said that to one guy too...[And he paused in the ackward silence.] But I guess that's why God invented highlighters, so we can highlight the parts we like and ignore the rest."

5 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger kobie said...

that's a great quote. rich mullins is an amazin guy. i loved reading his biography.

i'm glad your blogging on blogspot instead of myspace! : )

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jesse
I checked out your blog today. Was unable to read most of it because of being on a dark background-it didn't show up well on my computer.
Hope you and Sarah are doing well. We miss you guys.
Terri

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

Excellent post!

I miss Rich! I wonder what ever became of the Kid Brothers of St. Frank. Anyone know?

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Fr. David said...

Ooh, ooh, I know! Here they are...

I miss him, too...

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't mean to be contentious here but I think Jesus' comments to Nicodemus were clearly applicable in a general sense "No one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3b To the rich young ruler Jesus said, "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven." Mark 10:21 In this example Jesus is only referring to the young man and not speaking generally. I think we should use different verses to make the point that Rich Mullins is trying to make.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home