Monday, June 28, 2010

My 1st Iona Concert - Review


So last week, I had one of the most enjoyable nights of my life as I finally saw my favorite band, Iona, live for the first time. I first heard them back in ’97, & have been a diehard fan since then. Iona is a Celtic folk/progressive rock/jazz band from the UK, whose musicianship has always been top notch. The band got their start back in 1989, and as guitarist and band leader Dave Bainbridge says, “From the beginning, Iona was seen not as a band that hoped to 'make it' into the big time - rather a means by which the musicians could freely express their art form without compromise.” Old friend and columnist Mike Rimmer saw in the beginning the band’s “desire to make music that wasn’t simply using the words of songs to communicate. Instead like an artist creates different colors on his palate and then creates something beautiful on a canvas, [they] wanted the music itself to create moods, evoke grand themes and express something much deeper.” The band’s ethereal vocals and keyboards, masterful guitar solos, thunderous bass, powerful drums, beautiful sax, and Irish flutes/pipes create one of the most unique sounds you’ll ever hear. True to its progressive rock roots, many of the band’s dynamic songs consist of different movements and a few of the songs go over 10 minutes.

Not only is the band’s sound unique, but its lyrical content and focus as well. The founding band members were particularly fascinated with early Celtic Christianity, its Saints, its approach to nature, and its lasting effect on European culture. In the music, they wanted to “express something of the richness of these Island's Celtic Christian heritage,” and in this way breathe life on a Christianity too often marked by gimmick-iness and materialism. Many of the band’s songs explore different Celtic Saints, their faith, their journeys, and many old prayers have been woven into the music. In this regard, its lyrical content was folk in the truest sense – stories. Iona’s music earned many fans throughout Europe, Christian and non-Christian alike. The band became renown for its electrifying live performances, and the band’s music soon caught many ears in the States as well. Despite Iona’s deep faith, the band chose to let the music speak for itself in their shows and prided themselves that “there is nothing at all 'preachy' about Iona's music” - something that made them at home whether at Christian music venues or progressive rock festivals.

Unfortunately, the band has gone through many lineup changes over the years. In its early days, Iona had a Chapman Stick player, a rather odd bass-like instrument that fitted the band’s music perfectly. They have since had a standard bass. In 1998, Iona lost their saxophone player, and instead of finding a replacement, chose to pursue a 5-piece sound without it. One of the band’s most constant and most talented members, Troy Donockley, became more and more an integral part of Iona’s sound with his pipes and impressive guitar work as the band’s number of members dwindled. In time, Troy made it known that he wasn’t a Christian like the others and was in the band for the music – something the other band members were fine with and something I think is quite neat. But after a while, it became clear that the Christian members of the band had to ‘neuter’ the lyrical content in order to keep Troy in the band, the result being 2006’s impressive effort, “This Circling Hour,” the band’s only album without any reference to Celtic Christianity. In 2009, after 14 years with Iona, Troy left Iona, perhaps the most crushing departure for them ever music-wise. (He cited a difference in overall philosophy along with the band’s frequent inactivity – most members have families and other pursuits and live far apart from each other – making writing sessions and gigs extremely sparse as of late).

Thankfully, with the addition of Martin Nolan this year, Iona found an impressive pipes player that could play Troy’s integral parts. But unlike Troy, Martin does not play guitar as well, making a number of songs if not impossible or more difficult, then less impressive. As big and as faithful a fan of Iona that I am, I’ll admit that they have their weakest lineup to date. Also disappointing is the band’s new lyrical focus and direction. Now that all the members are Christians again, the band has decided to push the music in an overtly Christian direction – but not like the band’s founding thematical content of Celtic Christianity (which I and many others are fine with and enjoy), but rather songs about revival, prophesy, and spiritual warfare. The song titles from their upcoming studio album give you a sense of what’s in store: “White Horse,” “Another Realm,” “The Ancient Wells,” “Let Your Glory Fall,” and “Clouds,” a song about (what they believe to be) a correlation between strange cloud formations and spiritual warfare.

Up ‘til this point, Iona’s albums could be appreciated by Christians and non-Christians alike - something I really admired. In a 2006 interview, Dave Bainbridge went so far as to confide, “I think it's been unfortunate that sometimes we're referred to as a 'Christian' band as I'm sure this label…may alienate those who don't adhere to the Christian faith.” And as I mentioned earlier, their gig atmosphere has always been jovial and music-driven, where people from any background could enjoy themselves and be treated to some of the best music on the planet. But with Iona’s change in overall direction, it appears this balance is gone.

It was with this feeling that I went into my first Iona concert last week. The last time Iona came to the US was ’97, so this was my first opportunity to see them live. A couple friends and I made a four and a half hour trip up to Belleville, Ontario for a gig on June 24. The band brought out many classic Iona favorites and three songs from the upcoming studio album. The music was tight, and I was particularly impressed with Frank Van Essen’s drumming (I’m a drummer, and Frank has been one of the greatest influences on my playing/approach). The band brought out one of their songs US fans have been clamoring for on this tour, Inside My Heart, but only because someone in the crowd could play the essential guitar part that Troy used to play. The new songs were solid musically, but weren’t anything strikingly different than they’ve done before. Throughout their six studio albums, Iona has made it a point to never “repeat [themselves]” musically, making each album unique. The new songs sounded much like the rhythmic material from their last studio effort, and the outro of “Ancient Wells” sounded like a rehash of an old song.

And then of course there was the lyrical direction of the new songs/evening. Joanne talked pretty intensely about her desire to see revival, “glory clouds,” and such. And at one point in the show, she asked those at the concert wanting to see revival to come up front during one of their songs. This is a clear departure from their shows up to this point, where the music spoke for itself and rarely got “preachy.” I am a Christian, but I can’t say I’m on board entirely with the band’s new direction and theology espoused in their upcoming album. To me, Iona isn’t Iona without their particular focus on the Celtic Christian past, one of the founding essences of the band. Up to this point, I’m confident I could hand any of their albums to a non-Christian into Celtic Folk and Progressive Rock and that they would enjoy it thoroughly. Now I think the lyrics are so over-the-top that they are bound to alienate those who don’t subscribe to their particular religious beliefs.

I am glad I went to the Belleville show. I had a great time. Seeing them live has been a dream of mine for years. I got to meet the band briefly after the show, have them sign a copy of their setlist the tour manager was kind enough to give me, and tell Frank just what a big influence his playing has been. But in some respects the night left me a bit disappointed: I was struck by how the music and songwriting has been impacted with the departure of Troy. (I wish I could have seen a few shows back when the band was in their prime – I would love to have seen them with the Chapman Stick, a sax player, Troy, and their old drummer Terl). I remain a huge fan and will continue to support them and listen to them, but I can’t help but feel that in many respects they are going downhill. I’ll of course buy and enjoy the new album when it comes out later this year, but I hope at some point they’ll return to getting more inspiration from Celtic Christianity than from Rick Joyner and the Florida Outpouring. But even if the Iona I’ve grown to love is mostly gone, I’m thankful for the experience at Belleville, for the years of incredible music, and for their extensive catalog that never gets old. Thanks Iona!

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Jen Sauerwein said...

I'm torn regarding your comments because I love Iona so much. I was at the Elgin show this past Sunday, and I thought they were awesome! I did wonder why they didn't do "Inside My Heart"---one of my favorites---and now I know! I definitely missed some of the harder guitar playing and the saxophone playing. But they still moved me beyond words. My eyes swelled up in tears a couple of times. Their concert was so amazing to me.

I'm not sure what to think about them moving towards more Christianity lyrics again. It doesn't bother me, but I understand what you're saying about non-Christians possibly not listening to it as much, although the new songs from their upcoming album didn't seem "preachy" to me, nor did any aspects of their concert. I always thought their lyrics about Saints and the island of Iona and the Celtic history were so neat, and educational. Very unique, in my opinion. Iona is unlike any other band---Christian or not. Mainstream Christian songs all sound alike to me---the music and the words both---and I don't think have the talent that each and every Iona member portrays.

I know they've had their share of different members, in and out, of the band over the last several years, but the line-up has been mostly the same: Joanne, Dave B., Frank (in and out), and Phil (in and out). Terl and Troy were in and out over the years. Compared to most bands that have been around for a long time, their line-up has stayed pretty much the same. And, as far as your comment about Terl drumming, I personally think Frank is the BEST drummer I have ever heard!! He didn't have his whole set-up in Elgin, and maybe not for the whole US tour.

Thank you for taking the time to write a piece on Iona. I do wish their music reached a larger audience and that they had more financil support, but it was also so neat to have such an intimate setting with them at the concert.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Jen Sauerwein said...

PS: I also was able to get their song list and was also the only person who had the opportunity to take their blue concert poster off the door (with Kathy Bunkner's permission)!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home